Monday, August 17, 2009

Gas Gauge on Empty


For the past few weeks I have felt like my "Empty" light is on signifying that the gas gauge is about to run out. The problem is I still have 1000 miles ahead of me.


Errands to run, groceries to buy, schools to check out, doctor appointments to make, meetings to go to, a checklist FULL of obligations.


And NO gas.


I am sure there are so many of you that are right there with me. It seems that with the end of summer comes an onslaught of things that need to be done. And, something told me that if I didn't find a way to re-fuel... there was going to be a broken down mom in the road. I am pretty sure On Star and AAA don't have road side assistance for a broken mom.


I've made a few changes and let some things slide and can honestly say that my fuel tank is at least 3/4 full! So my house isn't as perfect as I would like it to be. The kids may not get a bath EVERY night... but on the days when we don't even leave the house - is it that BAD that they don't? Even in "slacker" state - our house is still acceptably clean.


I have read more, relaxed more, worked out more, talked on the phone with friends more, enjoyed my husband more, listened to great music more, lighted the mommy guilt load more... and the list could go on and on. Just by infusing my life with a little more of the things I love - I have re-fueled and feel like I have more to give.


The tank is not yet full but it's no where near empty!


post signature

4 comments:

Kate said...

Lisa, you are a wonderful mommy! I am so impressed by you, I am glad you are feeling refueled! Let me know if you ever need anything.

K-Mama said...

Hey--I think the most consistent I've ever been with baths is 3 days in a row. So if you're doing baths every night...you're AMAZING! Seriously Lees--you inspire me. You always have...even before you had kids. And now, as I watch the way you embrace your role as a wife and mom, I am inspired once again.

Kristen said...

I think that those empty tank moments are times that God uses to remind us to s-l-o-w down and to participate in life rather than running through it. You're not alone...we all have empty moments when we've been running ourselves ragged. Thanks for the reality check! Love ya!

Rhea said...

I completely know what you mean about running out of Gas. That has been me so many times this summer. And somehow, when I absolutely feel there is no more to give, I find some power from somewhere. I am going to try this idea for C's first birthday with a ladybug fabric. Wish me luck!