Monday, March 16, 2009

It Finally Happened...

I knew it was going to happen someday...

I am actually surprised that it has not happened yet - seeming that I have an almost 3 year old and two 18 month old babies...


It was Sunday and I have to take blame for part of it. I realized too late that we were almost out of milk and diapers... two things in this house that you DON'T run out of.


Wade was playing at the am church and since Addie has a couple more weeks before she is allowed back into the nursery - we fly solo on Sundays...


It was 11am when I made my discovery - so I thought - no biggie - we will just head over to Costco for a quick diaper and milk run.


I know, you already see part of the problem don't you. There is NO such thing as a quick Costco run on a weekend... and usually with three kids - there is NO such thing as a quick trip anywhere.


So, I changed diapers, took Noah pee pee and loaded the Egglets in the truck. We even stopped at the John Deere Tractor lot to count the tractors (Noah's FAVORITE thing to do).


I should have known things were going south when the twins started fussing while I put the Floppy on the cart. By this time it was 11:30 - precariously close to lunch (noon) and an hour from nap time. I grabbed the secret stash of teddy grams and felt that I was armed and ready to go.


We stopped by to see Sally at the Photo Center - she has been a family friend of mine for YEARS (34 to be exact). Noah loves to show her the hot wheels he brought AND give her a kiss... we were quick as I told her I was expecting a melt down from Thing One or Thing Two.


We grab the HUGE box of diapers times 2 (a month's supply) and head for the milk. A really nice lady offers Noah a sample of soup (which I ate because he would NOT eat soup...) and we are like a bullet to the milk. Noah spots the freezer section - and DEMANDS to walk into the cold room.... so, like a good mom, I comply.


The stocker at Costco was right in the middle of the isle so it was hard to navigate around him and the million other shoppers (he must not have kids...). I am not sure what exactly happened but I hear scrapping and Noah starts to cry. I realize he is kissing his hand and notice that CHOMPER (Matt) has struck again. I scold Matt and get Noah out of the cart to let him walk to get away from "HIM".


We are not in rush mode to the checkout... when Noah spots THE coolest book ever... I try to just keep walking - he just got a whale at Target on Monday - he is NOT getting something every time we go out...


And it happens...


He yanks his hand out of mine and throws himself dramatically on the floor while yelling at me in a voice that I am sure is out of some horror film...


I am almost frozen...


My PERFECT child is throwing his FIRST full blown fit in public...


We have had tears before. Maybe a little louder of a voice than normal and even a sit down but never the screaming, crying, throw yourself on the floor kicking kind of tantrum.


I have to admit that my first response was to look at him with that "Where is your mom and why can't she control you?" look. Hoping no one would realize that he was with us... but quickly realized that the gig would be up when I pick him up.


I stoop down and in my calm (fake) voice tell him that we need to go and the book will be here next time.


SCREAMS... I WANT MY BOOK.


I make things worse - "It is not your book. It is Costco's book."


I WANT THAT BOOK!


I scoop him up and look for the shortest line all the while telling him that this is NOT nice and he needs to have a happy heart.


I am NOT kidding - he looked at me and said, "YOU not nice mom. I be happy heart with my book." I laughed (come on - it was funny) and realized that he is SO much like me...


You know, you look at that nail polish (fill in the blank) and think - I have had a rough day and that will just make me feel better, prettier, whatever.... point aside... I was SO embarrassed.


BUT, I won. We don't own the book. We are not banned from Costco.


I have lived through my first full blown kid tantrum in a public place.


And, I lived.




post signature

2 comments:

K-Mama said...

Always nice to have a new member in the club!!!

Love you Lees! You are the best mom ever...

Anonymous said...

Gosh this brought back memories. I have been an absent blogger and thought I would check in on you-- and read this and just smiled.

Well done girl
Cindy R